Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Holiday

I always love it when I see a movie I originally thought I wouldn't like and I end up really liking it. (Not usually to the point of loving it.) Who doesn't love surprises?

This is the case with Nancy Meyers' The Holiday. From the fragments I saw, I figured it would be the usual tasteless romantic comedy. What I got instead was a movie that was really, really cute.

Among the actors in The Holiday are Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack Black (and Eli Wallach in an awesome supporting role). Diaz and Black I normally like in very small doses, but I did like them in The Holiday. I liked Black more because he was more dorky than loud as he usually is.

This was a nice transition for Winslet and Law. Both did a number of serious movies prior to The Holiday, so seeing them each do a light comedic role is a subtle touch. Their work here proved they are more versatile than originally perceived. (That, and Law is freaking adorable here.)

The Holiday, as stated, is a very cute movie. My main complaint is that the script focused too much on Diaz and Law, and not enough on Winslet and Black. All in all, I liked it more than I thought I would.

My Rating: ****

3 comments:

  1. I love this movie. It's a joy to watch. I'm not a Jude Law fan but he was actually ok in this one. Another great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a cute movie and I completely agree about Jack Black, usually he is too loud for me too, but not here.
    I love the scene when Cameron Diaz goes to Law's House and his daughters' tent is probably the cutest thing. Nice Review !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, this is a sweet one. The humour is light, and it is easy to watch - which isn't an insult. And, it's nice seeing usually intense actors like Law and Winslet laid back. (And, I think Cameron is quite fun here, too.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.