Sunday, March 13, 2011

In America

A new experience. Whether it be visiting a new location or meeting someone new, one always goes through such an experience.

The small Irish family in In America are such an example. They seek to achieve the American Dream in New York City. But it's a slow climb to that dream.

A subplot of In America is the family trying to move on after the death of the son. The mother and two daughters have accepted the death, but the father seems reluctant to move on. He still wants a memory of his son.

I'm aware of Jim Sheridan's other movies (My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father), but I decided that In America would be my introduction to his movies. It seemed appropriate since In America was loosely based on Sheridan's struggles in New York City during the 1980's.

In America had me really choked up in many parts throughout, but it's the ending that packed the emotional wallop. Don't say I didn't warn you.

My Rating: ****1/2

4 comments:

  1. I have to see this one. Didn't expect your rating to be that high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, I'm not familiar with Sheridan's films, I really do need to see My Left Foot sometime though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's a very good film in my opinion, too. Jim Sheridan has done some fine films - my favourite being In The Name of The Father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reluctantly watched this thinking it was a different kind of movie altogether. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. I loved this movie. They did a great job casting real sisters to play the two little sisters in the movie, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.