Thursday, November 25, 2010

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

After John Hughes' death back in 2009, I felt like I should watch more of his movies because all I've seen was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Fast forward a year later and I still hadn't seen anything else by Hughes. Until now.

All Neal Page (Steve Martin) wants is to get home in time for Thanksgiving. Instead, his flight gets cancelled and he's stuck travelling with loud shower curtain ring salesman Del Griffith (John Candy).

Like I said in the intro, Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the only other John Hughes movies I've seen. But through that I knew what to expect. Martin and Candy have some great scenes together. Priceless dialogue ("Those aren't pillows!"), perfect timing and a hilarious use of Murphy's law make Planes, Trains and Automobiles a must-see for the holidays.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. Planes is one of my top 10 comedies, Martin and Candy are on fine form, the script is razor sharp with many laugh out loud moments even on repeat viewings and its always a handy one to remember when playing seven degrees of Kevin Bacon. Glad you enjoyed it, now get on with watching more of Hughes' work. Pretty in Pink, 16 Candles and Weird Science would be my recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.