Monday, November 29, 2010

Hotel Rwanda

Remember the Best Actor race back for 2004? Every actor nominated but one portrayed a person that actually lived. Though I wondered about the nominees (no love for Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Sunshine Mind?) and the eventual winner (should have been Leo's year), it proved that a real-life portrayal is AMPAS' weakness.

Hotel manager Paul Rusesabagina (Don Cheadle) becomes an unlikely hero by saving over a thousand Tutsi refugees from the Hutu militia.

I thought that a few scenes in Hotel Rwanda were a little overdramatic. Cheadle gives a really impressive performance as Rusesabagina. Nick Nolte also gave a really good performance. It's hard to believe an event that happened so recently and so violent (over a million people perished) was virtually ignored by the rest of the world. It ain't no Schindler's List, but it has the same impact.

My Rating: ****

4 comments:

  1. I think Cheadle and DiCaprio were the two strongest of the nominees by a longshot with Jude Law in Closer being a worthy contender who never made it. I'll always resent Jamie Foxx's Oscar win and Eastwood' nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheadle was fanastic in this, as was some of the other nominees. but Jamie Foxx WAS Ray Charles. totally deserved his oscar. worked hard for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should elaborate on what scenes were melodramatic ;) I enjoyed Hotel Rwanda a lot but this isn't the type of movie that I feel like I want to see multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This movie made me cry so much. I loved Cheadle's performance, but like Castor said, it's not one I would want to watch multiple times.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.