Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Squid and the Whale

Recently I've been taking an interest in rising stars. I've come across with several just this year alone (Carey Mulligan, Jeremy Renner, Ben Foster, Andrew Garfield, Jesse Eisenberg), all of which had me wondering what their careers hold for them.

After their parents Bernard (Jeff Daniels) and Joan (Laura Linney) announce their divorce, brothers Frank (Owen Kline) and Walt Berkman (Eisenberg) have different ways of coping with the sudden news.

I'm not sure where to place the main characters. On the one hand, they're pains in the neck; on the other hand, you kinda relate with them. I particularly liked Eisenberg's work in The Squid and the Whale the most (Daniels is a close second). It's a quirky semi-autobiographical tale from Noah Baumbach that is both funny and caring.

My Rating: ****1/2

1 comment:

  1. I loved this film. While the characters weren't all that likeable, they still felt very real and kept things interesting.

    Greenberg, however...yikes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.