Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sideways

I'm trying to catch up on the top movies from the last decade. So I've managed to have seen a handful of award winners, ranging from the Oscars to Cannes.

Miles Raymond (Paul Giamatti), a divorced unpublished writer, takes his friend Jack Cole (Thomas Haden Church), who is soon to be married, on a tour of California's wine country for one last escape.

Miles and Jack are complete opposites. Miles is depressed and very much to himself; Jack is optimistic and outgoing. The differences between them made me wonder how they became friends in the first place.

Sideways is a very original concept (yes, I'm aware it's based on a book). Miles is probably the most depressed character I've encountered, but Giamatti makes Miles sympathetic. The dialogue is sharp and the characters are enjoyable to watch.

My Rating: ****1/2

6 comments:

  1. i kinda thouht this movie was overrated, but i did love the discussion of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite movies. How has Thomas Haden Church not done anything good since this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review, Anna. For me, this was the masterpiece of the last decade. A truly great film - scintillating script, brilliant performance from Giamatti, and very, very funny. It was the first film I watched on three occasions in less than 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. I often see criticisms of it but personally, I think it's a very human tale with two very interesting (and well rounded) central characters. The other Alexander Payne films I've seen (Election and About Schmidt) weren't as good but were both certainly engaging and similarly well characterised. Would recommend checking them out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is in my collection but I have yet to see it. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it was overrated, couldn't relate to either protagonists, and it felt like a wine commercial to me

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.