Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Truman Show

I really like Jim Carrey's work as an actor, but I like his serious work more. You know, movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Truman Show, stuff like that.

Truman Burbank (Carrey) has a charmed life, a happy marriage to Meryl (Laura Linney) and good friends. What he doesn't know is that it's all set up; his life is actually a TV show created by Christof (Ed Harris). But Truman begins to suspect his life isn't what it seems...

If you read the plot on paper, you would've thought it was the formula for a box office bomb. But thanks to Carrey's performance, Peter Weir's direction and Andrew Niccol's screenplay, it proved to be a box office success. Carrey's Oscar snub shows how unattentive AMPAS can really be.

My Rating: ****1/2

2 comments:

  1. Definitely agree with liking Carrey's 'serious' work more. I like this film much better than Eternal Sunshine. I think his performances in the two films are equally impressive, but for me, The Truman Show is just a much more powerful film. I'm sure I am in the minority on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this film in YEARS. I may have to go buy it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.